Creating a Website as a Student - Basics

 I'm creating a website! It's still cooking, but once it is up you should be able to see it through the links I've scattered all over this page, like this one here. I made a list of four processes and broke down scary and intimidating language that you might come across when creating a website. These are some that really scared me and made me procrastinate about getting started, but I have explained them to the best of my ability, so they don't scare you too. I know money is also a big deal if you are like most students, so I have taken the pains to explain pricing as well, you're welcome.

  1. Setting Up
  2. Buying a Domain
  3. SSL - Secure Sockets Layer
  4. How Much Is All This? - Payments and Overall Costs
First off, you might be wondering why you need to create a website, and as a STUDENT? Like isn't uni already hard enough? It is, but getting your voice out there is just as important, especially if you are a creator! If you feel overwhelmed already, don't worry, skim through the rest of this post to see if it really is that much work. Trust me, it really isn't.

1. Setting up
This means getting you site all ready and good to go. We live in a very digital age, so it is not too hard to find an option that suits you. For beginners, I would recommend Squarespace or Wix. They have easily customisable, no-code options which take only a few minutes to get up and running, maybe a couple hours tops, to master. If you are comfortable with code, try using Wordpress. I've heard they are super good! Personally, I'd recommend Squarespace, and no, I'm not being paid to say this, although I wish I were. You can find my site here (that's some shameless self-promotion right there).

2. Buying a domain
Okay, straight to the facts. This part is optional, and includes more costs. It does, however, make your site look very professional and I might even go the length to call it "classy" (unlike you, haha). So what does a domain do? And what even is a domain? A domain is your little space on the World Wide Web. It's yours. It's like owning your own piece of virtual land. Pretty cool right? You get to do anything you like with this domain, and I would recommend using it for something worthwhile. It lets you link a website, where it shows up as whatever you choose to call it. For example, it could look like sereneminnelli.com (more shameless self-promotion). If you don't buy a domain, nothing happens. Literally. But your site shows up as being part of Squarespace, or whatever hosting company you decide to go with. This blog shows up and reallyminnelli.blogspot.com, meaning that I have not linked my domain to it, and blogger is hosting it for me instead.

3. SSL
This is to stay safe on the Internet an make sure nobody robs your precious virtual land from you. Some sites pop up as http:// or https://. The latter is the one with SSL. It is also an indicator that your site is secure, and is encrypted, a feature that your audience might appreciate, especially if you are planning on making some dough. This is a bit of a complicated process that I'm sure I don't understand completely myself, but I know for sure that the SSL ensures that whatever information you enter stays on the website, away from prying eyes. It's like having your own bodyguard on your virtual land. There are many types of SSL, but if you purchase a hosting plan, they will cover this for you, usually without any additional costs, so you don't have to learn in depth about them. If you plan on expanding your little virtual empire, you should probably dig a little deeper, to know that you are choosing an option that works best for your needs.

4. How Much Is All This? - Payments and Overall Costs
If you are planning on hosting your website on Squarespace, the lowest payment is around $16 per month, that is, if you go with the annual billing plan. If not, the personal website package will be $22 per month. Maybe the cost of 2-3 solo trips to Starbucks. For all the convincing and promotion I'm doing, Squarespace better sponsor me. As for the domains, it should cost you around $18 per year (that's what it cost me, and I thin that's a deal), but prices can vary depending on what domain you choose. There are definitely tons of hosting providers out there, like GoDaddy or Google Domains, and the prices vary from provider to provider. I went with Google Domains, because I trust them and have been using their services for ages now, and I think they are pretty good. I also got charged a transaction fee of $2 for the domain, so a total of $20, but considering that it is for the whole year, I'm not complaining.

That's all for now, and I hope this helped! 

Disclaimer: All information provided is merely a guide. I am no professional, and everything I have said here is based off of personal experience and available information at the time of posting. Also, the rates are in AUD, not USD.

Also hi, this is my site. If you checked it out already, you're lovely ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Barcelona Pavilion - Architecture and Technology

The Gentleman's Duel - The Twelfth Night

Welcome to my Blog!