A Minor Inconvenience

Story time! Yesterday, I had to head to university for the training program I spoke about in one of my previous blog posts:Updates from the Past Year. If you don't want to read that, I am most definitely judging you, but I also will still give you a breakdown of the role because I'm not a jerk (and I also think you're kinda cool).

I was admitted into this wonderful program at uni where we will be explaining pathways into university to Year 7 students that come from low socio-economic backgrounds. My role is called "Equity Ambassador" and we were asked to come in for a training session at university, and man did I get lost. It's not funny.

I don't know about your experience with Google Maps, but if you're going like "oh no" in your head right now, yeah you know what I'm on about. Google Maps has this tendency to make you take the longest, most unnecessary routes ever, and my university is big enough for you to use Maps inside. It's super handy, but not when you're running a little late and have no idea where the hell you're going.

I kept following the map into unknown territory, past university, and past familiar land. I had to cross roads at weird places, but I kept going, because the fear of being late was stronger than my burning legs and my sweaty face. For a brief moment I wondered whether I looked like an absolute and utter hot mess. Judging by the state of my hair by the time I got back home, I can confirm that I was, in fact, an absolute and utter hot mess.

Maps asked me to take a left turn into some road I had never heard before, and I was entering a gated community of sorts. I walked right past the security guard, but he didn't object so I figured this might be uni premises that I had never been to before. I kept walking down a straight path that later wound up at what seemed to be the admin building because it had a bunch of signs and buzzers outside on the walls and windows. When I walked up to it there was a notice asking me to press the buzzer on the table, what a weird apparatus. I pressed it, and something started ringing from god knows where, and the receptionist, noticing me, let me in. It looked like a hospital, but I didn't care. They immediately started picking up a bunch of sachets and masks and they looked up at me and said "You have to take a PCR test". I froze. I tried to explain myself.
"No-
"No you have to because you entered." 

I half expected to have people dressed up in hazmat suits to come barging into the room and carry me away while I protested, like in those very dramatic sci-fi movies.

"I think I'm lost" I said, almost tearfully. I then showed them the map and asked for directions, to which I got the response "That's not here". I thanked them and got the hell outta there before I was detained and forced to stay the week.

I kept walking past reception, because the bloody map asked me to. It didn't feel right, but instead of trusting my gut I blindly followed the map like an idiot. The farther I went, the more I noticed people not my age peering at me; they were most definitely five or so decades older than me, and I definitely knew that I was in the wrong place. That's when I noticed the "aged-care" sign hanging. Yup, this is not the place. I turned around and huffed and puffed my way back to the main road, because now I was most-definitely running late.



TBC


Popular posts from this blog

Barcelona Pavilion - Architecture and Technology

The Gentleman's Duel - The Twelfth Night

Welcome to my Blog!